4929 North Sawyer
Chicago, IL 60625
(773) 534-0540 phone
(773) 534-0539 fax
On Tuesday September 9, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. we will have an Edison Gifted Local School Council meeting followed by the Open House for parents. Do not miss this opportunity to learn about what your LSC is doing. A full agenda will be published prior to the meeting but we expect this LSC meeting to address recommendations to improve school communication and other issues arising from the first week of school in our new home -- including transportation issues.
This will be a shortened Edison Gifted LSC meeting to make sure there is time for those parents who attend the meeting to meet with their children's teachers in the class rooms as part of the Open House. Due to need to make sure we have time for the Open House there may not be enough time for a regular open forum discussion as part of this LSC meeting. We plan to make sure there will be time for an open forum at the following Edison Gifted LSC meeting. You do not need to wait until October, Edison Gifted parents with concerns they would like to see the LSC address should not hesitate to contact any parent representative of the LSC anytime -- we are your representatives.
Please plan to attend the Edison Gifted LSC meeting on Tuesday September 9, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. This LSC meeting will be followed by the Edison Gifted Open House which offers opportunity for parents to visit their children's class rooms and hear from their teachers. You will not want
to miss it.
LSC Meeting Agenda1. Call to Order
Edison Regional Gifted Center Local School Council Regular Meeting
Thomas A. Edison Regional Gifted Center,
4929 North Sawyer, Chicago, IL
September 9, 2008
2. Roll Call
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Announcements/Introduction of Special Guests
a. Chair of the LSC (motion for Special LSC meeting)
c. Communications, Public Relations and Technology Committee (discussion and vote on committee recommendations)
d. Safety & Security Committee (discussion and vote on committee recommendations)
6. New Business:
a. Community Voting Boundaries for ERGC LSC
7. Old Business:
a. Bylaws (vote to approve)
b. LRE updates
8. Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting
9. Announce date of next meeting
10. Adjourn for parent Open House
Special Guest : Alderman Margaret Laurino
Edison Regional Gifted Center
Local School Council
The September 9, 2008 Meeting of the Edison Regional Gifted Center Local School Council was called to order at 6:35 p.m. in the gymnasium. A quorum was present.
All members were in attendance: Mr. Michael Early, Mr. Matt Farmer, Mrs. Saundra Gray, Ms. Christine Kim, Ms. Kathleen Lally, Mr. Marc Papadogiannis, Ms. Robin Rumsey, Mrs. Patricia Strelecki, and Mr. Harlan Wallach.
The LSC Meeting Agenda presented by Mr. Early was approved. (See Agenda dated September 9, 2008.)
The minutes of the August 20, 2008 meeting were not presented. Mr. Early moved to table approval until next meeting, Ms. Kim seconded, and motion passed unanimously. (They will be presented on September 17, 2008 meeting. See motion below.)
Mr. Early announced and presented Alderman Margaret Laurino. Alderman Laurino welcomed parents and stated her door is always open. She introduced Jonathan Silverstein, Director of Special Projects in her office. She stated that she knows ERGC will be happy in this new location and she is delighted to represent ERGC. She also acknowledged the families who live in her district.
Chairperson’s Report: Mr. Early stated that this LSC will take action to meet the challenges of this transitional year. He encouraged participation in the PTO and LCS and for parents to join committees.
· Mr. Early moved for a special meeting on September 18, 2008 due to this evening being a curtailed meeting to accommodate Parent’s Open House. Mr. Wallach seconded and motion passed unanimously. A Special Meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at ERGC.
Principal’s Report by Mrs. Gray (see also Principal’s Report dated September 9, 2008):
· The bench donated by a graduating class that was missing from Albany Park premises has been found.
· All students will enter through the main doors.
· Mrs. Gray acknowledged and thanked all three schools and their administrators who all helped assist in the morning arrival period in rain and shine. She reported that all three school faculties had a chance to meet before school began and that the schools are considered the “Albany Campus” and will all work together.
· Mrs. Gray reported that the phone system is still a problem they are working on.
· Mrs. Gray announced that the ERGC website will be launched by Friday, September 19, 2008.
· K-8 teachers are currently doing diagnostic testing for reading and math.
· ERGC has two student teachers from North Park University. Mrs. Gray hopes to work together with North Park and to be able to use their facilities. Snowflake will be held on North Park campus this year.
· Mrs. Gray reminded parents to circle the block at least twice during dismissal to pick up their children due to traffic congestion.
· Mrs. Gray thanked Alderman Laurino for procuring parking spaces for faculty in the CTA lot.
· She will arrange for the parking lots at Hibbard and the church to be open for afternoon and night activities at the school.
· See Mrs. Gray’s report for complete report.
Communications, Public Relations & Technology Committee Report by Mr. Wallach:
· Mr. Wallach congratulated Mrs. Gray for setting the launch date for ERGC website.
· Mr. Wallach reported that the Communications Committee has met twice so far.
· He has worked with Mrs. Smith to develop a site to access the 10-week plans.
· A Curriculum Subcommittee has been formed and headed by Kathleen Lally.
Safety & Security Committee Report: Mr. Early acknowledged Mr. Alex Gallegos, chair, and Mr. Nick Palella. He reported that ERGC administration is taking this Committee’s suggestions under advisement.
Transportation Committee Report by Mrs. Oberhardt:
· Many factors contributed to the bussing problems this year including getting a new bus company the week before school and having a new location.
· Bus company is not allowing children to switch buses. A child can only ride the bus he/she is assigned to and must get off at the assigned routes. The only alternative is to submit a walker note and get picked up.
· Some routes are over one hour long and they are working on lessening this.
· Any bus/walker notes should be written on a full sheet of paper with full names of child and parents and bus route number.
· Jewel has subcontracted ATP.
· Route 3 is being ironed out.
· Please look for information in Friday Notes.
New Business: Community voting boundaries are being redrawn by CPS and there will be discussion on this at September 17, 2008 meeting.
· Mr. Early moved to approve the Bylaws. Bylaws adopted by unanimous vote.
· LRE Update: (Least Restrictive Environment) ERGC has met with CPS Board representatives this week and it will use school based problem-solving before addressing individual needs (IEP). A state inspection is scheduled for November 3, 2008.
Meeting adjourned at 7:00 p.m.
Next meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at school.
/s/ Christine Kim, Secretary
These minutes were approved as corrected on 9/17/08.