December 12, 2008 ERGC LSC Meeting


On Wednesday December 10, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. we will have an Edison Gifted Local School Council meeting followed.

Do not miss this opportunity to learn about what your LSC is doing.  A full agenda will be published prior to the meeting.

The meeting is expected to include discussions about efforts to improve communications, the safety and security of our students and staff, curriculum, our school's relationship with our new neighbors, as well as ways parents can volunteer to make meaningful contributions to our school.

Please plan to attend the Edison Gifted LSC meeting on Wednesday December 10, 2008 at 6:30 p.m.


Edison Regional Gifted Center

Local School Council

Minutes of December 10, 2008 Meeting


The December 10, 2008 Meeting of the Edison Regional Gifted Center Local School Council was called to order at 6:35 p.m. in the gymnasium. A quorum was present.


All members were in attendance: Mr. Michael Early, Mr. Matt Farmer, Mrs. Saundra Gray, Ms. Christine Kim, Ms. Kathleen Lally, Mr. Marc Papadogiannis, Ms. Robin Rumsey, Mrs. Patricia Strelecki and Mr. Harlan Wallach.


The LSC Meeting Agenda presented by Mr. Early was approved. (See Agenda dated
December 10, 2008.)


The minutes of the October 15, 2008 and November 12, 2008 meetings were approved.


Mr. Early announced that during the business portion of the meeting only LSC members were going to participate, and afterwards questions and comments would be received from the members of the audience during the Open Forum portion of the meeting.


Principal’s Report by Mrs. Gray: See Mrs. Gray’s written report dated December 10, 2008 attached.

  • The entire school (both Edison and APMA) participated in an evacuation drill to North Park University.
  • PTO bought new printers for the teachers whose classrooms did not have printers.
  • Edison is unable to generate mid-quarter reports to every student due to the Impact computer program not being able to accommodate Edison’s special circumstances (ie, 3 math teachers for one class). Mid-quarter reports will only be generated for students receiving a C- or below.
  • LRE “not in compliance” issues cannot be resolved by Edison because they are CPS issues and Edison has no direct authority to correct them.
  • Mrs. Gray asks building liaison and Edison parent, Patrick Coyne, to address the status of the science labs.

Science Labs Status Report by Mr. Coyne: See his written report dated December 10, 2008. CPS contacted Mr. Coyne as a CPS vendor to take on the project last May/June. The project has dragged on because it should be done right rather than done quickly. The scope of the project is much higher than initial “in kind” labs of old Edison site because we will be getting two high school level labs. The lab cabinets and furniture are due in February and project cannot move forward until they arrive. When they arrive, project will move as quickly as possible. Mrs. Gray has proposed to relocate the students out of the classrooms temporarily so work can be done during workdays.


PPLC Committee Report by Mr. Papadogiannis and Mrs. Strelecki: They received proper instructions/guidelines on how to set up the committee. Mrs. Strelecki will chair and Mr. Papadogiannis will co-chair and an additional 7 faculty members will be on the committee (for a total of 9 members). Mr. Wallach offered for the committee to use the LSC website to post notes and announcements. The committee is currently working on modifying the homework policy to allow students to be more successful. The new policy will be distributed before winter break and implemented after winter break.


Curriculum & SIPAAA Committee Report by Mr. Papadogiannis: Mr. Papadogiannis asks for parent volunteers to work on grants and he will forward a list of grants to interested parties. He hopes to form partnerships with parents coaching teachers. He is looking for a coordinator to take over in January so he can focus on actually writing grants.


Transportation Committee Report by Mrs. Oberhardt: Jewels has generally improved though there are still problems with specific routes. Edison will continue to work with Jewels’ owner because the alternative of having separate bus companies would be worse.


Communications, Public Relations & Technology Committee Report by Mr. Wallach: Shari Hosp and Karen Pryor is working on public relations and have been disseminating good news.


Safety & Security Committee Report by Alex Gallegos:

  • No committee meeting was held last month but information was shared with members electronically.
  • Due to recent foul weather and city’s reduction of salting, we need to make sure the ice around the school is being handled.
  • Mr. Gallegos is glad to see security on the streets.
  • Committee’s proposed safety jackets were rejected by the Albany Park Community Council so this committee will look for an alternatives.

Liaison Committee Report by Mr. Farmer: The food drive was successful!


PTO Report by Mrs. Kim: Highlights of PTO’s November 18, 2008 meeting:

  • Meeting was attended by Mike Gardner, the program coordinator of an international fact-finding group from southwest district of Birmingham, England, who was visiting Edison that day. He had wonderful things to say about our students and sees future possible relationships.
  • PTO continues to research buying or leasing new copiers. Mr. Papadogiannis suggests looking into APMA’s copier provider.
  • The theme for this year’s Legacy is “My Kind of Town.”

Highlights of December 9, 2008 meeting:

  • PTO received several letters from APMA students/classrooms thanking them for free popcorn for all on Popcorn Day.
  • There have been donations of a Wii and a piano recently.
  • PTO has created an Arts Enrichment and Hospitality categories to be funded.
  • Excel has raised $2,490 to date.
  • December’s CMC gift cards will be distributed Wednesday rather than Friday before winter break.
  • PTO would like to recognize Edison parent, Carl Nelson, for showing up every morning to help out during student’s arrival.
  • Kristie Hansen has purchased 4 HP printers from Walmart and PTO is asking for parents to donate money for more printers for teachers.

New Business:

  • Mr. Early congratulated Mrs. Gray and Edison for being recognized at December’s CPS Board meeting as one of  the top Illinois schools.
  • Mr. Early quoted the Illinois law regarding an LSC’s role in the school budget. He stated we have no reason to have any issues with our administration’s handling of the budget but that the LSC will fulfill its duty to review the school budget and other financial records.
  • Mr. Wallach proposed looking for a role for LSC in LRE/IEP issues, perhaps as a vehicle to inform parents. LSC will explore how best to share LRE/IEP information with parents (ie, LSC had lawyer who specialized in IEP speak at meeting 2 years ago).

Motion for executive (closed) session made and passed to discuss personnel issues at 8:14 p.m.


Executive Session called to order at 8:25 p.m. and meeting adjourned at 8:35 p.m.


Next meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 6:30 p.m. at school.


                                                                        Respectfully submitted,


                                                                        /s/ Christine Kim, Secretary


These minutes were approved as corrected on 1/14/09.

Unknown user,
Feb 4, 2009, 6:13 PM
Harlan Wallach Wallach,
Dec 8, 2008, 6:51 AM