August 20 LSC meeting


 Edison Gifted

4929 North Sawyer
Chicago, IL 60625
(773) 534-0540 phone
(773) 534-0539 fax

OPEN MEETING

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:30 PM

This is your chance to learn what's happening and to have input into decisions that affect our school before the school year even begins.

With the transition to our school's new location, this year the Local School Council ("LSC") of the Edison Regional Gifted Center has decided to call an August meeting.  We will hold the first real LSC meeting since our organizational meeting on Wednesday August 20, 2008 starting at 6:30 p.m.  The meeting will take place in our "new building" at 4929 North Sawyer Avenue. 

A formal agenda, which has not yet been set, will be published before this August 20th LSC meeting.  The meeting is expected to include discussions about efforts to improve communications, the safety and security of our students and staff, curriculum, our school's relationship with our new neighbors, as well as ways parents can volunteer to make meaningful contributions to our school.  The LSC is forming new committees to address these and other important topics. 

This is an open meeting.  This LSC meeting will have an open forum for you to express your concerns and ask questions.

Please plan to attend the Edison Gifted LSC meeting on Wednesday August 20, 2008 at 6:30 p.m.

Check out the calendar for AUGUST 20. A link to the location in google maps is attached to the meeting announcement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edison Regional Gifted Center

Local School Council

Minutes

 

The August 20, 2008 Meeting of the Edison Regional Gifted Center Local School Council was called to order at 6:05 p.m. in the cafeteria. A quorum was present.

 

Members in attendance were: Mr. Michael Early, Mr. Matt Farmer, Mrs. Saundra Gray, Ms. Christine Kim, Mr. Marc Papadogiannis, Ms. Robin Rumsey, Mrs. Patricia Strelecki, and Mr. Harlan Wallach.

 

Member not in attendance was: Ms. Kathleen Lally.

 

The minutes of the July 9, 2008 meeting were approved as read. The minutes of the June 10, 2008 meeting were approved as corrected. (Correction on page 1, Old Business, 4th bullet point: “Ms. Rumsey reiterated that [omitted] everyone is entitled to an opinion.”)

 

Chairperson’s Report: Mr. Early welcomed everyone and hoped for LSC to be an open forum for all to join.

 

Principal’s Report by Mrs. Gray (see also Principal’s Notes dated August 20, 2008):

 

·         Edison staff did not attend the conference in Las Vegas during the summer.

·         Edison will be receiving two science labs which CPS will install by the end of September or beginning of October.

·         Edison’s old telephone number should have a recording stating our new number.

·         The sign outside will read as follows:

 

Albany Park Campus

Albany Park Multicultural Academy

Edison Regional Gifted Center

 

·         Student desks are in; still waiting for teacher desks.

·         Classrooms need more cabinetry but if CPS won’t buy it, we will have to find a way to purchase them.

·         Parking one block south on Kedzie is being discussed.

·         Mrs. Gray visited Alderman Laurino two weeks ago and Alderman Laurino was very cooperative.

·         The bench donated by a graduating class is missing from Albany Park premises and a police report was filed.

 

Communications, Public Relations & Technology Committee Report by Mr. Wallach:

 

·         First Communications meeting held on August 6, 2008 at the Edgebrook Library.

·         Announcement of new LSC website on Google which includes an electronic calendar.

·         LSC will continue to use both paper and electronic information to disseminate information.

·         Plans to work in conjunction with Michael Stowe (baddomain) and PTO.

·         LSC is committed to a proper electronic, not anonymous, venue.

·         Mr. Wallach hopes the LSC committee heads to participate and be part of Communications Committee.

·         Next Communications Committee meeting will be held on September 3, 2008 at a place yet to be determined.

·         Committee strongly recommends Edison administration’s need for a website and to state a launch date.

 

Mrs. Gray suggests that committee meetings at night should try to coordinate with existing events already scheduled. Mrs. Rumsey suggested finding out APMA’s schedule to see if LCS committee meetings could be piggybacked with them.

 

Safety & Security Committee Report by Mr. Early (in place of Mr. Alex Gallegos, chair):

 

·         More crossing guards needed. Last year there was on at Kedzie & Lawrence and should have one again this year. Does Ainslie & Kedzie have one this year, too?

·         Confirmation that Sawyer is closed to traffic except for busses.

·         Bullying – Mrs. Gray will be addressing CPS Code of Conduct on the first day of school.

 

·         The Safety and Security Committee moved to have the LSC to adopt and approve the following recommendations:

 

1.         Increase the use of trained and organized indoor and outdoor parent volunteers (such as during pick-up and drop-off times, recess monitors, lunch room monitors and hallway helpers).  The LSC should work with the PTO and the administration to recruit and prepare parent volunteers for the beginning of the school year.

 

2.         Continue to implement the CPS Student Code of Conduct -- including the new anti-bullying provisions – using the recommendations in the CPS Bullying Prevention and CPS Toolkit documents.  Determine the best methods to educate faculty, parents and students about the Code of Conduct and the anti-bullying rules.

 

3.         Consider having Kindergarten through 3rd grade walkers enter through the south entrance of the building to facilitate drop-off.

 

4.         Provide parents with information about how to safely drop-off and pick-up their children and provide students with schedules, school maps, and pathways within the school so they can safely find their way around the building before the first day of school.

 

Each of these recommendations from the Safety and Security Committee was voted on as a separate motion to have it adopted as an LSC recommendation.  All four motions to adopt the Committee’s recommendations were passed by the LSC.

 

Transportation Committee Report by Mrs. Oberhardt:

 

·         Last year’s bus company, Chicago Transit, was not approved by CPS this year.

·         Edison’s bus carrier this year is unknown as of yet.

 

Old Business:

 

·         Ms. Kim moves to table approval of Bylaws to next month’s meeting and seconded by Mr. Farmer. Motion passed 4 yes, 3 no, 1 abstention.

·         Mr. Farmer is the chair of the LSC Liaison Committee.

 

New Business:

 

·         Edison LCS has no community members and needs to fill the two vacancies. CPS will make boundaries. Ms. Christine Jasch suggests APMA parents on Edison LCS and vice versa.

·         It is noted that History Fair  is scheduled for March 11, 2009 which coordinates with March LSC meeting. K-3 Science Fair is scheduled for April 2, 2009. Mr. Early moves to recommend to administration that History Fair and K-3 Science Fair projects be kept up so parents could view projects (though students will not be present at night) with the stipulation that parent volunteers will break down and put away projects after viewing. Motion passed unanimously. Mr. Early moves to reschedule LSC April meeting from April 1 to April 2, 2009 to coincide. Motion passed unanimously.

·         Mr. Early moves to set aside the $450 stipend given to LSC by CPS for training and save it for other uses such as guest speakers. After clarification that teachers or anyone else who did not want to use personal funds for training would not need to, motion was passed unanimously.

 

Meeting was opened to the Public Forum:

 

·         Ms. Daniela Ortiz asked for official start/dismissal times of three schools and was given:

 

Edison             8:00 am – 2:30 pm

APMA                        8:23 am – 2:15 pm

Hibbard           9:00 am – 2:45 pm

 

·         Ms. Ortiz asked if Total Quality Schools (TQS) will be reinstated.

·         Ms. Rachel Wallach asked about shared bathrooms. Mrs. Gray says the two schools will generally separate bathrooms by wings; however, no student is forbidden from using any bathroom. The buddy system will be followed.

·         Mr. Wallach wants to recommend all committees including PPLC to conform with rules, including minutes. Mrs. Gray stated that PPLC does report.

·         Ms. Christine Jasch asked about parking. No solution has been given. CTA lot on Kedzie charges $2 all day. Mrs. Gray said Alderman Laurino told her to ask her again in the future if CPS falls through.

·         Parent asked about I.D. cards. Administration initially wanted them but then rejected idea due to many different restraints including cost.

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:03 p.m.

 

Next meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. in school cafeteria on the same evening as Edison Open House.

 

                                                                        Respectfully submitted,

 

                                                                        /s/ Christine Kim, Secretary

 

These minutes were approved as corrected on 9/17/08.


Ċ
Unknown user,
Feb 4, 2009, 5:53 PM
Ċ
Harlan Wallach Wallach,
Jul 30, 2008, 12:00 PM